Assisted Living Residences provide accommodation and varying levels of care
and supportive services in a home-like, residential setting. Services typically
include meals, social and recreational programs, 24-hour emergency response,
laundry and housekeeping services, supervision or administration of medications
and varying degrees of assistance with the activities of daily living such as
bathing, dressing, and routines. Nursing services may or may not be provided.
Costs to residents are market driven and, in some cases, may be subsidized by
Assisted Living may be privately or publicly delivered. For access to a
publicly funded Assisted Living building, you will likely need to contact the
health unit in your community. This is the 'single entry point' system for
accessing publicly funded Assisted Living and Residential Care. For privately
delivered Assisted Living, you may apply directly to the building.
The Government of B.C. defines Assisted Living as an innovative housing
option for seniors and other British Columbians who need help with daily tasks,
but are able to live independently. This legislation provides a framework for
establishing new assisted living residences to ensure the health and safety of
Assisted living residences are registered facilities that provide housing,
hospitality services, and one or two prescribed services to three or more
adults. The individuals receiving care must be able to make decisions on their
Prescribed services - to be established by regulation - may include:
A licensed community care facility provides three or more prescribed
services to residents.
- Regular assistance with daily activities such as eating, mobility, dressing,
grooming, bathing and personal hygiene.
- Monitoring of food intake or therapeutic diets.
- Administering and monitoring the taking of medication
- Central storing or distribution of medications.
- Maintenance or management of residents' cash and valuables.
- Structured behaviour management and intervention.
- Psychosocial rehabilitative therapy or intensive physical rehabilitative