Browse All Articles
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Source: The Care Guide
Although the amount and degree of exercise may depend on the level of
physical health, seniors do need to exercise. Exercising can help seniors feel
better and enjoy life more. It can also help reduce risks of being exposed to
physical or mental illnesses. Here are some tips to help seniors maintain a
healthy body and mind.
- Check your physical conditions to choose the right exercise for you
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and well-fitting shoes.
- Always start your exercise by slow stretches.
- If you are not already active, begin slowly. There is no need to start with
cross-country running. Walking is often the choice for beginners.
- When it becomes a routine, slowly increase the intensity of your exercise
- Choose rhythmic and repetitive activities that are fun, and that you can do
- Find someone to exercise with you (e.g. friends or family) if it will help
you stay on a regular schedule and add to your enjoyment.
- Make sure you have some water available around you as you exercise. It is
advised that you try to drink water every 15-20 minutes while exercising in hot
and humid conditions. Providing water to your body prevents dehydration as you
lose water in your body through exercise.
You must be logged-in to submit a comment. Log in
Not registered with thecareguide.com? Register
View all comments